Most leaders are comfortable giving negative feedback to employees. The fear of hurting people’s feelings and dealing with potential drama holds them back. But most of their staff want to get more feedback from their managers, which is why giving it early and regularly is critical.
Respectful, direct feedback costs nothing but makes big improvement in individual and team productivity. Right feedback creates better collaboration, bonding, and sustainable change. In its absence, teams become ineffective. Leaders become irrelevant.
So, the next time you need to give difficult feedback to an employee, use these tips:
1. Be Direct, but Kind — Don’t beat around the bush. Include specific examples of desired behaviors to illustrate what you mean.
2. Listen — This provides a space in which both people feel respected. In a recent global study respondents were asked to rate their managers on the extent to which they “carefully listened to the other person’s point of view before giving them feedback.” Respondents who rated their managers as effective listeners felt more positively about the manager’s ability to provide feedback. Respondents who didn't, rated their manager lower on providing honest feedback.
3. Don’t Make it Personal — Imagined slights and malice are toxic, but if you acknowledge the emotions being felt, you open a relief valve for the stress.
4. Be Present — Show up fully for the discussion, and don’t rush off once it’s over. Follow up later so afterthoughts don’t create imagined distance.
5. Inspire Greatness — Be sure to communicate your aspirations for the person you’re giving feedback to.
The Support You Need for Extraordinary Results
Business leaders shoulder immense responsibilities — from building client relationships to driving performance to fostering innovation. GUILD offers instant access to relevant experts, to help them overcome key challenges and tap fleeting opportunities.
We value your time. Our goal is to find the right expert for your needs – fast.
To Validated Experts
We prequalify every consultant on our website, and endorse them with our service guarantee.
Anywhere in the country
Constrained by local expertise? We help you hire the top specialists for best results.
1. Search & Shortlist
Search by the expertise you seek. Browse relevant profiles, and shortlist candidates.
2. Register to Schedule
Register as a client to schedule free initial consultations.
3. Choose an Expert
Choose your consultant and mutually decide the scope of work. We can help.