Areas of expertise
Accreditation, Policy, Governance
Jason Spangehl is a founding Principal of Spangehl Higher Education Associates. He has worked in education (elementary through post-secondary) for 16 years. He has been an attorney and higher education consultant for the past six, focusing on governance, policy and operational processes. Jason focuses on regional accreditation, and has helped institutions secure eligibility, candidacy, and reaffirmation. He is also experienced in responding to accreditor sanctions and restoring institutions to good standing.
Spangehl Higher Education Associates emphasizes institutional effectiveness in their consulting work — working to ensure that Universities and Colleges have the foundations of quality in their organization, policies, processes and assessment systems that will enable them to excel. Jason brings a unique perspective to this work: developed though his broad experience as a Law School instructor, an administrator for major for profit institutions, and a language teacher for elementary, secondary, and post-secondary students in South Korea, and refined through the effective application of quality principles to numerous accreditation projects.
Every project is unique, and we do not have a standardized service agreement. However, our process for appraising a project's complexity and developing a customized proposal offers a consistency you can rely on. Our contracting principles are reviewable at our business website.
We provide a price for completion (generally 30k-200k) which simplifies budgeting on your end, and incentivizes efficiency on ours. Accreditation projects occur on a continuum, and your success is vital to our continued engagement.
Our proposals enable value-based decision by providing clear explanations of cost, both in terms of our fees and the amount of time necessary for your faculty and staff to support these efforts, and comparisons to insourcing those efforts through reassignment and new hiring.
We work to accelerate expected timelines. For example, regional accreditors estimate preparation for new accreditation at two to three years, which we have achieved in three to nine months.
• Large online for profit university, secured regional accreditation eligibility and candidacy.
• Mid size private nonprofit University, secured removal from sanctions and reaffirmation of regional accreditation.
• Small graduate school focusing on international community development, secured removal from regional accreditation sanctions.
• Mid size community college, prepared successful response to peer review recommendation of sanctions.
• Small private nonprofit University formerly accredited by ACICS, preparing assurance narrative for initial regional accreditation.