Getting employees to think and act like owners is precisely what I have been focused on in the past 20+ years with over 300 different companies, including Carlson Travel, a group I suspect you are familiar with, albeit most of the companies I work with are small to medium sized companies like yours.
Being a graduate engineer, I tend to focus on results and refine methodology to improve results. As it relates to getting employees to thinking and act like owners, I have found the process that works best is as follows:
1) Identify the key issues facing the company, with input from the employees, management, customer and financial analysis
2) Distill those key issues down to a performance metric that defines winning in the next 6-12 month
3) Make that metric visible and the focus of the team's regular meetings, ideally having the team forecast what the performance will be, so they are thinking in cause and effect terms and when actual results come up, they can learn from the variances
4) Develop a team based incentive plan that ties directly to that performance metric
5) Ongoing focus and driving or result
6) Repeat / refine the process, typically annually
If you would like, I would be happy to speak with you about your specifics, no charge.