Getting employees to think and act like owners is precisely what I have been focused on in the past 20+ years with over 300 different companies, including Carlson Travel, a group I suspect you are familiar with, albeit most of the companies I work with are small to medium sized companies like yours.
Being a graduate engineer, I tend to focus on results and refine methodology to improve results. As it relates to getting employees to thinking and act like owners, I have found the process that works best is as follows:
1) Identify the key issues facing the company, with input from the employees, management, customer and financial analysis
2) Distill those key issues down to a performance metric that defines winning in the next 6-12 month
3) Make that metric visible and the focus of the team's regular meetings, ideally having the team forecast what the performance will be, so they are thinking in cause and effect terms and when actual results come up, they can learn from the variances
4) Develop a team based incentive plan that ties directly to that performance metric
5) Ongoing focus and driving or result
6) Repeat / refine the process, typically annually
If you would like, I would be happy to speak with you about your specifics, no charge.
Is this answer helpful? Schedule a free consultation with Bill.
The Support You Need for Extraordinary Results
Business leaders shoulder immense responsibilities — from building client relationships to driving performance to fostering innovation. GUILD offers instant access to relevant experts, to help them overcome key challenges and tap fleeting opportunities.
We value your time. Our goal is to find the right expert for your needs – fast.
To Validated Experts
We prequalify every consultant on our website, and endorse them with our service guarantee.
Anywhere in the country
Constrained by local expertise? We help you hire the top specialists for best results.
1. Search & Shortlist
Search by the expertise you seek. Browse relevant profiles, and shortlist candidates.
2. Register to Schedule
Register as a client to schedule free initial consultations.
3. Choose an Expert
Choose your consultant and mutually decide the scope of work. We can help.