Locating and hiring a virtual employee includes many of the same approaches as an on-site employee.
Here are my best tips for hiring a virtual employee:
1. Have a very clear, accurate position description.
2. Have systems that can measure and monitor the employee's work.
3. Go to your existing staff, clients, network or professional contacts to solicit candidates.
4. Interview your candidates using a video conferencing service.
5. Hold regular meetings with them using video conferencing.
6. Set up specific reporting and follow up expectations that your virtual employee is responsible for managing.
7. Pare your virtual employee with another staff member so they have a peer to connect with.
8. Keep them included on all announcements and communications, just as you would an on-site employee.
Bottom line, don't be overly consumed with how they are doing the work. Focus more on the result. If the results are not what you expect, examine how they are working.
I had a highly successful career in the consumer products manufacturing industry and held many executive level positions in sales, marketing and logistics designing strategies and developing people. I turned all that into a blossoming business and executive coaching business.