If you are experiencing high turnover, you have a very serious, systemic, problem that needs to be addressed in a more fundamental manner that the three ideas you have here.
Hiring a bench will only increase the number of disaffected employees you have and increase costs. I suspect you would be very disappointed with the results of this option.
Cross-training works very well in a culture of mutual respect with an engaged and inspired workforce. Based on the little you have told us, I'm afraid your workers are energetic, engaged and inspired, except for the 8 hours they work for you... If that is the case you will probably get very mixed, and not very satisfying, results from a cross-training effort until you address the issues that are causing the high turnover in the first place.
A well supported work system that includes effectively documented and easily learned processes is an essential part of getting and maintaining an engaged workforce - a true team - but it is only a part.
Space doesn't allow a more detailed answer, but the essentials to getting a dream team instead of continuing to deal with the employee nightmares you have now are these:
1) Build a touchstone for all business decisions consisting of a Vision, Mission Statement, and Values Statement. Look up what a touchstone is. Use your Vision, Mission, Values in the same way with every decision you make. Let the employees see that you are. Contact me for more details on what these are.
2) Identify the crucial contribution each role plays in your organization.
3) Work to replace management-imposed rules with peer-enforced standards.
4) Clearly tie positional Key Results and Key Performance Indicators to the Strategic Plan and Quarterly SMARTER Goals.
5) Market to the proper "fishing pond" for each position and use a diagnostic sales approach to hiring instead of the traditional "what are your skills/experience" approach.
Result: lower turnover, more productivity, team members driving you forward.
Is this answer helpful? Schedule a free consultation with Malcolm.
The Support You Need for Extraordinary Results
Business leaders shoulder immense responsibilities — from building client relationships to driving performance to fostering innovation. GUILD offers instant access to relevant experts, to help them overcome key challenges and tap fleeting opportunities.
We value your time. Our goal is to find the right expert for your needs – fast.
To Validated Experts
We prequalify every consultant on our website, and endorse them with our service guarantee.
Anywhere in the country
Constrained by local expertise? We help you hire the top specialists for best results.
1. Search & Shortlist
Search by the expertise you seek. Browse relevant profiles, and shortlist candidates.
2. Register to Schedule
Register as a client to schedule free initial consultations.
3. Choose an Expert
Choose your consultant and mutually decide the scope of work. We can help.