An executive coach could certainly help, but only if the leader wants to be coached. It doesn’t sound like this leader would be particularly interested in working with a coach.
I think you should frame the challenge not as fixing the leader’s ability to listen, but how you & your peers do a better job influencing the leader.
I recommend an article by my partner Marshall Goldsmith titled: Effectively Influencing Decision-Makers http://www.marshallgoldsmithlibrary.com/docs/articles/Effectively-Influencing-Decision-Makers.doc
Some of the points he makes are:
- Every decision that impacts our lives will be made by the person who has the power to make that decision – not the ‘right’ person, or the ‘smartest’ person, or the ‘best’ person – make peace with this fact
- When presenting ideas to decision makers, realize that it is your responsibility to sell – not their responsibility to buy.
- The effective influencer needs to be a good teacher. Good teachers realize that communicating knowledge is often a greater challenge than possessing knowledge.
- Realize that powerful people are just as “human” as you are. It is realistic to expect decision makers to be competent; it is unrealistic to expect them to be anything other than normal humans. Is there anything in the history of the human species that indicates when people achieve high levels of status, power, and money they become completely “wise” and “logical” or a good listener?
- Successful people love getting ideas aimed at helping them achieve their goals for the future. They dislike being “proven wrong” because of their mistakes in the past. By focusing on the future you can concentrate on what can be achieved tomorrow, as opposed to what was not achieved yesterday.
Is this answer helpful? Schedule a free consultation with Jim.
The Support You Need for Extraordinary Results
Business leaders shoulder immense responsibilities — from building client relationships to driving performance to fostering innovation. GUILD offers instant access to relevant experts, to help them overcome key challenges and tap fleeting opportunities.
We value your time. Our goal is to find the right expert for your needs – fast.
To Validated Experts
We prequalify every consultant on our website, and endorse them with our service guarantee.
Anywhere in the country
Constrained by local expertise? We help you hire the top specialists for best results.
1. Search & Shortlist
Search by the expertise you seek. Browse relevant profiles, and shortlist candidates.
2. Register to Schedule
Register as a client to schedule free initial consultations.
3. Choose an Expert
Choose your consultant and mutually decide the scope of work. We can help.